martedì 8 ottobre 2019

Chapter 50 : Free from chains


Alessandro Serpi and Saber had reached Regent's Park and had got inside, stopping in front of a bank of the immense rift in the ground. Alessandro had his toga in his hand, the robe of the Coven. Saber was beside him and asked, worried:
« What will happen to those who saw you at the pub? »
« Do you mean those members of the Coven? » He checked.
« Yes. »
« I don't know. They will probably report everything to the Grand Master. »
« And that's okay with you? Aren't you worried? »
« Why should I be, Saber? None of them is strong enough to kill me. They are only spies, incapable of doing high Magecraft and lacking in enough magical energy to deal with me. They are not comparable to me. »
« I know ... but … » Saber didn't know how to make her Master understand that she feared for his life.
« A little while ago, at the pub, I hit Elisa with a fist. Do you know why I did it? »
« Because she wanted to prevent you from knowing more about your father? »
« No, because he had lied to me. I am aware of being surrounded by liars and I hate them, do you know why I hate them? Because those who lie to me lack respect. It is the respect that distinguishes a civil society from a herd of animals, I have always respected those around me ... but can the others say the same? Elisa is not the only one who lied to me ... she is one of many ... and I am among them. »
Alessandro turned to Saber and the girl immediately noticed that he had a sorry and lucid look.
« Are you all right, Master? »
« I have been disrespectful to myself for so long. I have always thought that I would liked the Coven one day and that one day I would have accepted to be part of something so great. I lied to myself. The truth is that I never wanted that day, I never wanted to really love the Coven ... because I always knew that I didn't like the Coven. »
« Master … » Saber wanted to console him.
« Don't pity me … » He wiped his tears and added: « Don't pity me because I'm telling you the truth. My mother forced me to join the Coven when I was only sixteen, before I volunteered in a library. I have been in the Coven for four years ... and I am not happy. I would have preferred to be a librarian ... or a professor ... or even a nomad guided only by adventure. But this ... this is suffocating. These chains are strangling me, suffocating me and I can't take it anymore, Saber. »
« I am with you, Master. » Saber took Alessandro's hand.
« Saber … » He blushed. 
« I am with you and I will stay by your side until the end, this is not a lie. I promise you I'll never lie to you, Master. » She said, with a smile like the sun.
« Thank you, you give me the strength to go on, Saber. »
« You too, Alessandro. »
« What? » Alessandro was slightly surprised that she had called him by name.
« That is, Master! » Exclaimed Saber, immediately leaving the boy's hand and turning away from the other side hiding the fact of being excited.
Alessandro understood that she was trying to hide her emotions and to avoid putting her in trouble he decided to leave her alone. He took a look at the robe in his hands and murmured in a relieved tone: 
« Finally I can say goodbye to the Coven. » Then he turned to Saber: « You know, I really hope the Grand Master will hear about my rebellion. »
« Why? »
« Because this way he will know that I am no longer his puppet, now I have finally realized the true me, my real existence and I no longer need the Coven. Now I'm free. »
Alessandro threw his black robe into the depths of the pit before him.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento