mercoledì 9 ottobre 2019

Chapter 53 : Will and destiny (part 2)


Alessandro Serpi had returned to his hotel room for the last time, packed his bags with all his belongings: books, clothes, magic ingredients and the photo. That picture of the young Alessandro with his family, he turned it around and read the inscription: "Where are you?" The boy sat on the bed to look at the photograph again. Saber appeared, noticing the thoughtful look of the Master, she asked:
« Is there something bothering you, Master? »
« So many things have happened in so little time … »
« Talking about the Coven? »
« Not only. I am talking about the fact that since the Holy Grail War began I discovered I have a half-sister, I found a track to learn more about my father and I was betrayed by the Coven. What is this? »
« Destiny. » She answered with an iron conviction. 
« Destiny? Do you believe in destiny, Saber? »
« Everything in my life happened because it was destined to happen. I was predestined to become Caesar, the greatest and brightest figure in the ancient world. »
« I'm surprised, I never expected such an answer from someone like you, you know? »
« Why not? »
« Because … » Alessandro looked again at the photo and explained, with a melancholy smile: « Well, because fate is cruel and prevents you from having a real control of your life, don't you think so too? »
« No, it's not like that. Destiny is not something you have to do but something you will do. It is not an obligation, it's the purpose of your life, it's what makes you important. I think so. » She said.
« And are you happy with how your destiny came about? » Asked Alessandro, intrigued.
« Yes ... and no. »
« A very vague answer. »
Saber sat down next to Alessandro and told:
« One night, many days before my death, Aeneas appeared to me in a dream that took me to the Elysian Fields and there he told me the different repercussions of my choices on the people of Rome. I saw my adopted son, Augustus, become a mature and also capable emperor and was moved to see him in those garments. Then I saw Tiberius, he too was a capable emperor; Caligula gave me so much pain while Claudius made me smile making me hope in Rome. »
Saber's gaze darkened and Alessandro worried:
« What happens, Saber? Is there anything that troubles you? »
« I got angry. I got very angry when I saw Claudius's successor, I got angry and cried for the future of Rome. »
« Who are you talking about? »
« Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. That person does not deserve to be considered a princeps of Rome, she does not deserve it and she never deserved it. »
« Why did she make you angry? »
« How can I respect an emperor who refuses to fight and lead military campaigns? How can I commend a person who disrespects the legion that made Rome great? How can I love a family member who has betrayed my ideals? Nero and I have nothing in common. Nero is just a selfish party lover, a lazy person who basks in luxury but forgets the bigger goals. Do you know why they say she is "crazy"? »
« Because they say she burned Rome? »
« No, because her inability to face life and her obstinacy to seek luxury without pain have led her to deny the ideal of princeps. I despise Nero and for this, when I saw her, I cried for my beloved Rome but I accepted my destiny and went ahead. »
« It almost seems like you have a personal problem with Nero. » Noticed Alessandro, slightly surprised. 
« In her name there is my name. She betrayed Caesar's ideals and this is unforgivable! » She screamed getting up from the bed.
« Calm down, Saber, I didn't want to make you angry. »
« Listen to me, Master, I want you to know this: if you ever meet Nero in the future, don't trust her. Under that smile she hides the face of a paranoid and selfish demon. »
« Saber … » Alessandro didn't know what to say, his Servant seemed to talk about her nemesis.
« I won't hide it, I would really like to be able to fight her only to have the opportunity to kill her with my own hands. »

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento