martedì 8 ottobre 2019

Chapter 49 : Lies


Alessandro Serpi and Saber had gone to a pub to have breakfast since the girl had specifically requested it, apparently she was fed up with eating indoors and wanted to try the local cuisine. Elisa Mancini decided to follow the two, guided by the curiosity to see how English pubs were made.
Sitting at the table they began to order something to eat. Saber, dressed in a sweatshirt and a miniskirt with long black stockings and tennis shoes, had loosened her hair for reasons that Alessandro could not understand. The girl carefully analyzed every dish on the menu.
« What are you looking for? »
« Meat. »
« Meat? »
« Exactly, meat. I love meat. I don't care if it's beef or pork or even chicken, I love eating succulent meat dressed with oil and spices. My mouth is watering just talking about it! » Exclaimed Saber with sparkling eyes. 
« Of course, I understand … » Alessandro forced a smile.
« But it takes something to accompany the meat. We certainly need a wine! »
« A wine? But do they serve it in pubs here in England? »
« Maybe yes. » Elisa answered.
« Is everything all right? » Asked Alessandro, noting the girl's distracted gaze.
« Of course, it's just that I pay attention only now that it's nice not to look too much. Always wearing the clothes of the Coven can be a nuisance and today we wear all three casual clothes and no one looks at us in a strange way. It's satisfying. »
« Maybe, but personally I love the Coven's clothes. They have their own style. »
« You don't eat? » Then asked Elisa.
« I'm not hungry. »
« Are you sure? »
« You don't have to worry about me, Elisa. »
« No ... it's just that … » The girl blushed.
« What? »
« Nothing, forget it. » Elisa returned to looking at the menu.
Saber suddenly exclaimed:
« Bangers and mash! »
« What? » Alessandro hadn't understood anything about what the girl had said.
« Bangers and mash! It looks delicious! I want this! »
« Ah, she's just talking about food. How the hell is it possible that the conqueror of half of Europe is so childish? »
« Well, she's still Italian anyway, isn't she? It's normal that she loves food so much. » Commented Elisa.
« I am Italian and I'm not like that. You're not like that either. »
« This is not true, it's just that I manage to contain my joy ... OH MY GOD! » She exulted.
« What's up? » Alessandro had taken a hit.
« Look, there's the famous fish and chips! I always wanted to eat it! »
« Really? Do you get excited about something so ridiculous? Come on! I go out for a moment, you order food for two. Call me when you have to pay. »
Alessandro left the pub to get a breath of air, he needed to stay away from that noisy place. But it was also evident to him that there was not much difference between a pub and London at nine in the morning: the noise was practically the same.
« Stuff you wouldn't believe. » He muttered, annoyed.
A man approached Alessandro and asked him politely:
« Are you Alessandro Serpi of the Coven? »
« Excuse me? » Alessandro became suspicious when he heard a stranger make his name. 
«I am a member of the Mage's Association, my name is Viktor Augustav Stirgold. Maybe you don't know me but I know you had a kind of agreement with a colleague of mine: Bradley Jenkins. »
« Does it seem safe for you to talk about certain things in public? »
« I don't care about them right now. The Coven is becoming a serious threat to 
all of us. »
« The Coven? »
Alessandro had already heard his half sister accuse the Coven of having chased their father and now there was a stranger, a member of the Mage's Association, who was also accusing the Coven.
The boy didn't know how to react to the man's words but decided to leave the pub, hoping to be followed by Viktor. Alessandro didn't want to discuss certain things in the presence of Elisa Mancini or Saber. 

The two reached a quieter area. Alessandro looked suspiciously and asked:
« You move charges to the Coven, can I know why? »
« Do you think I want you to betray your organization? »
« I think this is not the first time I have been given this possibility. It seems that everyone has problems with the Coven, and the thing that surprises me is that a member of the Mage's Association has similar concerns. I thought we were allies. »
« We are, but apparently the Grand Master is not respecting the truce. »
« What do you mean? »
« Bradley Jenkins is dead, he was killed by a member of the Coven. »
« What ?! Do you have at least the evidence to prove it? »
« Obviously. We have a security camera registration. »
« And why are you telling me this? »
« Because I have reason to believe that it was not a coincidence. What deal did you have with Jenkins? »
« I would have brought him Yukiko in exchange for information on my father. Simple. »
« I understand, it's possible that the Coven has some interest in defending one of the two. »
Alessandro said nothing about it, he didn't want a stranger to know about his father's story and the fact that he was related to Yukiko.
Viktor asked, then:
« Did the Coven tell you anything? »
« No. But ... when did he die? »
« Two days ago. »
« No, I'm sorry I didn't know anything about it … »
At that moment Alessandro remembered that two nights ago, Elisa returned home very late. It was possible that she had been behind the Bradley Jenkins murder, but if that was true it meant that she was probably aware of his search for information about his father.
Alessandro went off muttering: 
« We'll talk another time. »
« Where are you going? »
That girl was a liar. That girl had lied to Alessandro and was hindering him, she could not be forgiven. Alessandro entered the pub and approached the table where the two girls ate. Saber, seeing the Master, exclaimed:
« This meat is very good, you should try it! »
Alessandro ignored Saber and turned, in a cold tone, to Elisa Mancini:
« Have you killed Bradley Jenkins? »
Elisa's blood froze, she placed the food gently and turned to Alessandro who was looking at her with icy eyes. The girl asked, agitated:
« Who did you talk to? »
« Have you lied to me? »
« Alessandro … »
« Answer the question. »
« I only did what I was told to do. The Coven is worried about your state of mind, the Grand Master believes that you are losing sight of your goal. »
« How do they know? »
« They have spies. »
« So they keep an eye on me. Since when? »
« Since you reported on Yukiko Kumahira. »
« Are you a spy? »
« I just do my job. »
« Are you a spy? »
« I have to make sure you don't make mistakes. »
« So are you hindering me? »
« You obey the Coven, I would like to remind you. You work for the Grand Master like all of us. You are here because you have been given a mission! » Elisa answered, finding the strength to raise her head and look at the boy straight in the eye.
« Are there spies here too? »
« Why do you think so? »
« Because it was you who advised us to come and eat here. Are there any spies 
here too? »
« No, of course not. »
Alessandro immediately noticed that Elisa had thrown a quick glance at something that was behind his shoulders. He immediately turned and snapped his fingers, exclaimed:
« Inveniret Hominem! »
Four people inside the pub lit up: they were members of the Coven, disguised. These men immediately got up to stop the boy but at that moment, Alessandro snapped his fingers and exclaimed:
« Impediendum Pedes! »
The men froze. The other customers of the place got scared and ran away. Viktor, meanwhile, managed to get in and immediately understood that Alessandro had managed to find the person who had killed Bradley Jenkins, then exclaimed:
« Stop! No need to hurt her! She will be brought before a court where she will answer for her actions. »
« She just wanted to get in my way. » Alessandro replied.
« Do you really want to kill her ?! »
« Wait! I am your ally! We are both part of the Coven! Do you really want to betray us? » Elisa was desperate and tried to persuade Alessandro not to do anything to her.
« It was you who betrayed my trust first, you shouldn't have played this game 
with me. »
« Stop, boy! Stop! There is no need for public execution! Listen to me! » Said Viktor.
« What do you want to know? You are not the one who is constantly stabbed in the back! » Alessandro replied aggressively.
Saber, meanwhile, had just finished eating and got up to put the plate away. Alessandro, realizing that the Servant had not given her opinion on the matter, asked her:
« What do you think, Saber? »
« Me? Well, I love betrayal ... but I hate the traitor. » She answered by throwing a furious glance at Elisa.
« What do you think should I do? »
« Why do you ask me? »
« You're a strategist, you're Caesar. How would you handle a similar situation? »
Saber smiled, glad to be considered by her Master, and suggested:
« You have already too many enemies, Master, you must have allies. Maybe we can trust that man. Give him what he wants. »
Alessandro turned to Viktor:
« Can I really trust you? »
« Of course you can. Listen to your Servant, let's solve it peacefully. »
« Okay. »
« No wait! » Elisa got up but at that moment Alessandro punched her in the face.
Those present were shocked and he commented:
« You told me not to kill her, but I think she deserves it. It's all yours, Viktor. Saber and I are leaving. »
« Where can I meet you? » Asked Viktor.
« I'll come to the Clock Tower. »

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento