lunedì 27 luglio 2020

Chapter 144 : False Dmitry I of Russia


Born October 19, 1582. His name was Grigorij Otrepev a monk who apparently abandoned the Čudov monastery after the death of Ivan IV, known as Ivan the Terrible. With the death of the tsar, the successor should have been Dmitry Ivanovich, the son of the tsar, but this disappeared mysteriously and so appeared Grigorij Otrepev who claimed to be the son of Ivan IV.

June 1605

Taking on the identity of Ivan IV's missing son, Grigorij Otrepev was officially recognized as Dmitry and was recognized as such even by the wife of the Tsar, Marija Nagaja. In that month he decided to visit the tomb of Ivan IV as a sign of respect but also to pretend to be in pain for him, so that everyone believed his lie.
Patriarch Job met the man right there, during that morning when there was no one else in the cemetery. In an accusatory tone he said:
« I know who you are, you can't lie to me, Otrepev. »
« Do you think I care? Marija, the Tsar's whore, accepted me as her son to stay close to the throne, the boyars are on my side and the army loves me too. Your word no longer matters, patriarch. »
« So what are you going to do? Will you become the new tsar? Will you spot your name, the vow you made as a monk, just to live a life of ease and power? Aren't you ashamed of your deeds? »
«I only left Poland to fulfill my destiny, patriarch. I have no shame. In the past I was a monk, it's true, but now I will be something more. I will be a powerful man, an unmatched man that everyone will remember for ages to come. »
« Yours is just insane ambition, Otrepev. I refuse to crown a man like you, I don't recognize you as king. Find someone else and God have mercy on your soul. »
«I don't need God. » Dmitry replied with a proud smile.
Dmitry was crowned by the patriarch Ignatius on 30 July 1605, who recognized him as Dmitry I, the new tsar of Russia. Dmitry reigned in relative tranquility for many months but then he decided to marry the Polish Catholic Marina Mniszech. Dmitry refused to force his wife to convert to Orthodox Christianity, on the contrary, he wanted to bring Russia closer to Catholicism and for this the Moscow Patriarchate condemned Dmitry, the Boarians decided to conspire against the same tsar and even the army revolted.
On 17 May 1606 the conspirators arrived in the Kremlin and Dmitry fled the window, but fell and broke his leg, however, moved by despair he sought refuge in a monastery, he wanted to obtain God's forgiveness, but was captured by the soldiers who gave him the worst death for a man: they beat him, wounded him with weapons missing vital parts and only at the end he died; his body was torn to pieces and exposed to the people, then burned, the ashes were mixed with gunpowder and the Russian soldiers fired at Poland.
The patriarch Job was in Starica to serve his exile, decreed by Dmitry himself, when he learned of the tsar's death. He bent down on his knees and uttered these words:
« You, who have abandoned God, will perhaps find forgiveness in his arms. Your name will be stained but your soul will be saved if you agree not to abandon the Way anymore. Goodbye, false Dmitry. »

False Dmitry I of Russia by Bikowolf

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento