mercoledì 31 luglio 2019

Chapter 22 : Seventh day


Alessandro Serpi was on the phone with Giovanni Monteverdi X, in his hotel room in London after the horrific disaster that took place a few hours earlier in Regent's Park.
« Newscasts are already talking about it, Grand Master, now everyone knows what happened at Regent's Park. What should we do? »
« Nothing, disciple, for now nothing. It's not worth it to get so excited, but now explain to me again what happened, calmly this time. »
« Okay. So ... while I was fighting the Masters I realized that a Caster-class Servant had created magical territory by surrounding it with a barrier. During the battle the barrier was completely destroyed by a magical blow, made of light, which came from the outside. It looked like a Noble Phantasm. Then the earthquake started. »
« A Noble Phantasm? »
« The Servants present at Regent's Park were Assassin, Lancer, Caster, Archer and my Saber. Therefore it may have been the work of Rider or Berserker. »
« You will have to find out, disciple. I've already decided to send you someone who can help you. »
« Wait! No! I don't need … »
« The decision has already been made. Continue to fight and do not challenge my decisions. »
« Okay. I humbly ask for forgiveness, Grand Master. »
« Forgiveness is granted to you. »
« Thank you, Grand Master. Now back to work. »
« Excellent. »
Alessandro ended the call and sat on a nearby chair, after leaving a sigh of exasperation. The fact of not being able to challenge any choice of the Coven put him in difficulty and made him feel like a useless pawn who simply had to follow orders without ever protesting.
Saber left the bedroom wearing only the suit she usually had under her armor. Without leggings and without a cloak, the girl was almost unrecognizable.
Saber took off her laurel wreath and laid it on the dining table, then silently headed for the fridge to get something to eat. As soon as she turned her back on the boy, Alessandro couldn't help but look at her butt. He felt guilty and annoying in doing such a thing and so, without making a noise, he got up and walked quickly to the bathroom. He closed the door, undressed and got under the hot shower water.

Meanwhile, Saber took a bottle of wine out of the fridge and filled a glass goblet. After tasting a little, she licked her lips and said:
« The best of the best. »
Saber realized that Alessandro was in the bathroom washing himself and so, moved by curiosity, she began to rummage through the things of her Master. 
She found a small notebook from which came out a photograph of Alessandro as a child with his mother and his father. Turning the photo she noticed that it was written: "Where are you?". 
She went into the dining room, sat down on the sofa and, crossing her legs, began to sip her wine as she read the contents of the notebook. It was a sort of diary of secrets inside which, Alessandro, had written his thoughts, his sufferings, his doubts and even his loves. Saber noticed that the boy often asked himself about his father, so the girl immediately concluded that his father had abandoned Alessandro.
Suddenly Alessandro's furious hand tore the notebook out of Saber's hands. The boy, infuriated, exclaimed:
« What right did you have to peek into my stuff ?! »
Saber, without even looking at her Master, answered quietly:
« We need to know each other better, Master. I need to know what kind of person you are, otherwise I cannot know how you will behave in future battles. »
« To hell with it! It's just an excuse to poke your nose into matters that don't concern you! »
« I already told you that these things concern me … » 
« No, you're wrong! My past is not your business! End of the discussion! »
« Master … »
« End of the discussion! »
« Master, think … »
« I said: END OF DISCUSSION! » Alessandro screamed, angry.
The boy went into the bedroom, still wet and in a bathrobe, while Saber, who did not accept having to do with a Master who had secrets with her, decided to join him to reason with him.

Saber saw her Master sitting on the bed with a photograph of him and his parents in his hand. His fury seemed to have died out completely. His eyes were sad and shiny. Saber, seeing her Master in that state, asked him: 
« What happened to your father? »
« Why do you want to know? » He asked.
« I want to help you. »
« You can't do it, Saber. There is nothing left to do now. My father is no more. He died at least a year ago. »
« I'm sorry … »
« You don't have to mind, Saber. I learned of his departure I think ... five months ago from a member of the Coven. Obviously you're wondering how this is possible, well ... know that it's the same question I asked myself thousands and thousands of times. »
Saber sat next to Alessandro and, with a sympathetic voice, asked:
« Can I know what happened between you and your father? »
« He abandoned me, that's all. He left me and my mother when I was only seven. My mother never explained to me the reason for this but I know that like me she always hoped for a return. > 
« Do you want to bring it back to life? »
« No, no ... I'm not so selfish as to bring my father back to life just for my own good. But I would have liked to have answers. For years I tried to understand his reasons, his desires and for years I tried, with all my being, to track him down. That was my purpose. That was the only thing that made me feel alive, for some strange reason. I chased an eagle in flight and hoped to reach it with my hands, but that eagle disappeared. It disappeared into thin air. When I learned of my father's death, my whole life lost its meaning. What's the point of going ahead? What's the point of fighting? What I was fighting for no longer exists. My father died without giving me any answer, without even calling me once and I was not even able to attend his funeral. »
« Master … » 
« I'm sorry, Saber, for behaving that way with you ... but you have to understand that it is painful for me to remember that man who was my father. »
Saber put her hand on that of Alessandro then, with her other hand, brought the boy's face to her. Alessandro's heart began to beat like a drum, like Saber's. The two looked at each other in a moment of solemn silence. Saber approached him slowly, closing her eyes. Their lips were about to touch, gently. Alessandro closed his eyes and waited for the decisive moment. There was less than a breath between the two. Their hands were sweating, their hearts were leaping like kangaroos and their thoughts were completely blurred. They were so close, attracted like an iron magnet, and were driven by a powerful and warm energy that was ready to burst. 
The phone rang. The enchantment broke. The two stopped after taking a fright. Alessandro stood up quickly, hiding what had happened between his legs, and headed for the phone. He answered:
« Hello? » 
« Hi, dear, it's been a while since last time! » It was the voice of Yukiko.
« Yukiko ...? What do you want from me? »
« I knew you came to the hotel, a few days ago, did you have fun? »
« Oh … »
Alessandro had a memory gap, probably still had to recover from what had happened with Saber. As soon as he remembered his visit to the hotel, he exclaimed:
« Of course! Yes, that place full of disgusting homunculi! »
« You noticed, then. »
« Did you think I was stupid? »
« No, actually I was hoping you would see them. I needed it. »
« Why? » 
« I want to talk to you in private about something very important. Something about you. But there must not be your Servant, I want it to be a private discussion only between you and me. »
« Now do you really think I'm such a fool to do such a thing? »
« It's not a trap. »
« I don't trust you. »
« Marco Serpi. »
At that moment Alessandro paralyzed. Hearing that name made him stiffen and, shocked, asked:
« How do you know that name? That's my father's name! »
« Of OUR father, you should say. »
« What ?! »
« I won't tell you more, not this way. Let's meet tomorrow morning in front of the Tate Britain, we'll talk more about the two of us there. Nothing will happen to you, 
I promise. »

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento