domenica 14 luglio 2019

Chapter 8 : The young lion


Alessandro was lying on the bed and was constantly looking at the symbol on his right hand. That was the contract with the Servant that he had evoked only a few hours ago. It was night and he was with her in a hotel room. Saber was in front of the television, like a child opening a gift package, and watching the news trying to understand more about the era in which she was.
Saber commented:
« Many things have changed since I died. Maybe too many things. In my day it was much simpler than now. I hear of politicians and dictators, of wars and of territorial complications that in my time were not there. »
« I imagine … » Alessandro didn't really want to talk.
Saber immediately noticed the unwillingness of his Master and asked, irritated:
« What are we doing here, Master? We should fight for the Holy Grail, why are we here? 
Can I know? »
« I'm waiting for orders from the Coven. »
« The Coven? » 
« It is a magi organization I work for. »
« You don't seem happy to work for them. »
« I didn't want to participate in this war. »
« So why did you summon me, Master? »
« Because I was forced. »
« I understand. »
Saber went back to watching television. Alessandro got up from the bed and went to the bathroom. He closed the door and washed his face. 
It had now been done. The Servant had been summoned. Alessandro would have taken part in the Holy Grail War and nothing would have changed things. He took a towel and hastily wiped his face. He didn't want to think about it. 
When he left the room he noticed that Saber had been particularly interested in a news report. In this news there was talk of the Ibaraki Disaster. Alessandro had heard of it inside the Coven, the theories about the disaster were different but almost all agreed to hold the Holy Grail responsible.
Saber asked Alessandro:
« Where is that place? »
« Are you talking about Ibaraki? »
« Exactly. Where is it? »
« In Japan. » He replied.
« Can you take me there? »
« No. »
« Why not? »
« Because it doesn't concern us. The Coven has no time to waste on these useless matters. Even if that disaster was linked to the Holy Grail, however, it would be irrelevant. »
« You're weird, Master. » 
Saber rose from the sofa and approached Alessandro; the boy, seeing the girl coming closer and closer to him, distanced himself timidly, but she did not stop. Saber grabbed Alessandro by the wrist and took him to her then, like a mother, caressed his cheek gently and lovingly and said:
« I can feel it, Master, I can feel you have a lot of magical energy. Near you I feel very powerful yet, despite this, I see that you are reluctant. Are you afraid of dying? »
Saber's sharpness took Alessandro by surprise, and with an abrupt movement he turned away from the girl and replied:
« None of your business. »
« You're wrong. »
« What do you want from me? You are a Servant, right? You're good at doing one thing: fighting. So think about fighting, don't be a psychologist. My personal problems don't concern you. »
Saber slapped Alessandro. The boy, taken aback by that violent and unjustified blow, was about to get angry but Saber exclaimed with cold military authority:
« You're wrong! Your personal problems concern me because if you have problems, I have problems. In an army, all individuals count, I can guarantee this. From personal experience I can assure you that every individual, every soldier, must be lucid, free of mental obstacles, otherwise he risks not making the military machine work. If you have problems, it's my business too! » 
Saber was right. Alessandro knew it, deep in his heart he was aware of the fact that Saber was right but he was blinded by his pride to be able to admit it. He walked away from the girl and snorted aggressively. The one who spoke to him was only a Servant, he thought, she could not know him and was only born to make a war to obtain the Holy Grail. She was a tool, a weapon and nothing else.
He opened the window of the room to let in some air. Saber came up to him and said:
« Maybe you don't like me, but I'm right. »
« Leave me alone, Saber. » He muttered, annoyed.
« As you wish. You are the Master, after all. But anyway I'm right. »
« Yeah, right … » he said sarcastically. 

At that moment the telephone rang. Alessandro answered the call: it was the Grand Master Giovanni Monteverdi X. Alessandro asked:
« Grand Master, do we have news of the Grail? »
« Yes, disciple. We know where it will appear. »
« Where? »
« London. » 
« London … » He repeated murmuring.
« Exactly. You will leave tomorrow. Good luck, disciple. Win the Grail for the Coven. »
« As you wish, Grand Master. It will be done. »
Alessandro ended the call. He looked at Saber, leaning against the wall near the exit; her arms were crossed and she was anxiously awaiting the order of the Master. He looked at her and said, in a voice devoid of enthusiasm and full of discomfort:
« We have to go, Saber. We will take a plane … »
« Where are we going, Master? »
« London ... London ... we go to London, Saber. »
« Are you okay, Master? » She asked, worried. 
« Don't you realize it, Saber? Officially the war has begun. The dice is cast. »
« Ah! » Exclaimed Saber, smiling with a haughty expression, and added: « I have heard those words before, you are a young lion and even if now you are afraid of fighting one day you will manage to have a thick mane. The mane of a king. But to have it you will have to face reality, accepting at the same time that you cannot escape from it. »
« I don't want to have a mane, Saber. I want to be happy. »
« Everyone wants it, you're not the only one. » Said Saber caressing Alessandro Serpi's cheek.
The two left the hotel room.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento