martedì 24 novembre 2020

Epilogue

 
Arthur Pendragon, King of the Knights, woke up on the warm grass lit by a summer sun surrounded by calm clouds in a crystal clear sky. Her soul was calm. When she got up she saw near her a man sitting on a stone, an elderly man with a tunic and a stick, that man smiled at her and said:
« You woke up. »
« Who are you? »
« I'm
Aeneas. You must be Arthur Pendragon, the King of Knights, the King of the Britons. I'm happy that you have arrived in the Elysian Fields. »
« The Elysian Fields?
»
«Observe, in front of you, hills and mountains rise and there is the immense expanse of wheat that has fed Rome for millennia. Go, Arthur, over there are your ancestors laughing in this paradise of humanity. You deserved this peace. »
«No. I don't deserve it. This place ... it's not my home ...
»
« It is. You're Roman, you're the last descendant of Caesar, you belong to this place like all the sons and daughters of Rome. Go, walk through those expanses of wheat, feel the Empire of Rome run through your veins. You have to touch with your hand. »
The girl crossed the expanse of wheat, with her hands outstretched she passed on the different ears and, closing her eyes, she could feel a strange sensation that was warming her heart. Home. She knew she was home. She recognized the place as her home but couldn't understand why. She opened her eyes and saw Gaius Julius Caesar approaching her.
« Welcome home. »
« Is this what you wanted me to see? »
« Yes. This is the heart of civilization, of the empire, of culture, of Rome ... we've shaped Europe and the whole world, we've conquered more than any other empire in the world, not only with arms but also with our way of life and our way of seeing things. We Romans are the people who forged the world and who made it what it is today. We have created heroes and myths ... but most of all you. »
« Myself? »
« Think about it, you would never have had a kingdom if Rome hadn't reached Britain. You're Roman, you're a fruit of our empire, one of its most beautiful fruits, and the last of my family. The last real Caesar and for this I welcome you to the Elysian Fields. »
« Why? »
« Because I want to spend eternity in peace with my family, is that too much to ask? » Caesar asked, caressing Arthur's face.
« I … don't know. My heart perceives this place as my home but ... I don't feel worthy of this paradise. This is a reward I don't deserve. I have done great things, I am aware of it, but I have also made mistakes that have led to the death of many of my friends. I don't deserve to be happy. »
« Why do you say these things? Don't you think you should deserve a little rest? »
« A king shouldn't deserve rest, especially when his every choice has been the wrong one. I have failed as king. Because of me my kingdom has fallen. I can't live in a paradise knowing what I've done. »
« Making mistakes is normal. You cannot pursue perfection, you're not a machine, you're human. Allow yourself to make mistakes and rest in peace. None of us will be able to do all the things we want in life, that's a sad truth ... but that's the way it is. The only thing we can do is live. »
« So are you telling me that I should accept what happened? »
« I'm asking too much of you, right? I know. By now I know you. You're a bit stubborn, like me. I will accept it. But listen to me, what happened happened. The choices we make cannot be changed. I also have regrets but I accept this eternity of peace not because I've none, but because the choices I've made in my limited life span are the ones I've been able to make. Going back and changing things would be like betraying myself. »
« I see ... but then what am I supposed to do? »
« Rejoice with your family. »
Aeneas came and said to Caesar:
« Then I think you should open your heart to the whole family, yes? »
Caesar saw Nero, a little further on, who was surprised to see her and at the same time intimidated by her presence. Caesar turned to Aeneas and asked:
« Why do you want me to talk to her? »
« Because she's not so different from you, she also made mistakes but here she must receive forgiveness. She asks no more. The forgiveness of the family.
»
« Forgiveness ... »
« If you want a family, » Artoria said « you must be able to forgive the wrongs of those who make mistakes. This is the meaning of "family", this is love. »
« But where did you learn it? » Aeneas asked with an intrigued smile.
« A person I loved… but it's nothing that concerns you!
» She replied, blushing.
Caesar approached Nero, didn't let her speak and hugged her. Nero, astonished, asked:
« Why? I thought you hated me ... »
« I forgive you. »
Nero, in tears, returned the hug.
Artoria was happy to have reunited the two of them but then she was grabbed by Caesar who embraced her too; holding both girls in his arms, smiling, he said to them:
« I love you both. »
 
Artoria, Caesar and Nero by Bikowolf

 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento