giovedì 12 novembre 2020

Hávamál, the beginning of the Holy Grail

The chalice that received the blood of Christ, a sacred object that appears in the Arthurian cycle, in the story of Fate is considered a sort of Noble Phantasm and it is assumed that there are at least 726 Grails and because of these several conflicts have broken out. Creating a Holy Grail wasn't easy for me because I wanted a miraculous object that was also dangerous just like the one created by Kinoko Nasu. I wanted a tool capable of destroying everything but at the same time able to attract the magi, in order to make them fight the conflict.
I thought about taking up the concept of the blood of Christ but changing the last part. I already knew the Nordic poem called Hávamál. This work is composed of shorter poems which are rich in ancient wisdom. Hávamál could be called a work of philosophy.
Rúnatal or Odins Rune Song is a section of the Hávamál where Odin reveals the origins of the runes. This section was of particular interest to me for the simple reason that there I had found the story of a sacrifice, that of Odin.
What played in my favor was the presence of a Jelling stone erected by Harald Bluetooth where you can see a representation of Jesus Christ as Odin making the sacrifice under Yggdrasil. So I had the connection between Odin and Christ and the only thing I was missing was the Holy Grail, but for that it was simple enough. (Just add a magic cup, right?😲) So the Holy Grail of Yggdrasil instead of having the blood Jesus Christ had received that of Odin.
Below you can find the description of Odin's sacrifice presented in the Hávamál:
 
I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run.

No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn,
downwards I peered;
I took up the runes,
screaming I took them,
then I fell back from there.