mercoledì 11 novembre 2020

Ouroboros, the story of a crazy idea

An ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. In the alchemical tradition the ouroboros is a palingenetic symbol that represents the alchemical process, the cyclical succession of distillations and condensations necessary to purify and bring to perfection the "Raw Material".
In love with Egyptian culture, I decided to use the concept of the snake eating its tail to build the Holy Grail of Yggdrasil. I wanted a Grail that had a completely unique power, I didn't want a tool that could simply fulfill a wish and end of the story, I wanted something dangerous but at the same time miraculous. I knew it would be difficult to create such a magical item and for this I relied on Nietzsche.
The German philosopher interested in oriental culture was interested in the concept of the Ouroboros and on this he based his philosophy of eternal recurrence. According to this philosophy time is like a carriage gate, the place where two paths meet and from which two paths branch off, one towards the future to infinity, the other towards the infinite past. However, according to Nietzsche, the eternal return is not a condemnation to eternal repetition. Knowing this I wanted something that represented this Ouroboros but what could it be?
So I thought about using Nidhoggr (or Nidhogg) and treating it just like the Ouroboros. Nidhoggr in Norse mythology is "the one who strikes with hatred"; this is an evil creature similar to a huge dragon-snake (do you understand what I did, yes?😁) Yes, basically (since I'm a genius) I thought that since both Nidhoggr and Ouroboros are two dragon-looking snakes then they are one and the same. The idea of the century, really ... but jokes aside I knew that Nidhoggr is the name of the snake that, in the afterlife, torments the corpses of the dead and feeds on them; I also knew that this creature is associated with Ragnarok, another element of Norse mythology; in a nutshell it's a great battle between the dark forces and the forces of light after which the whole world will be destroyed and thus regenerated.
Ouroboros, however, is not the same as Nidhoggr, of course; the evil serpent of mythology is the one who brings darkness while Ouroboros is basically an alchemical concept. Gnosticism assigned a serpent similar to the Ouroboros with demiurgic powers similar to those of Christ.
With all this information I decided to create an original and unique mythology in Fate/Yggdrasil. I wanted to take Nidhoggr and give him the power to create and to destroy and I wanted to associate this creature with Nietzsche's philosophy. However, admitting the repetition of things in this way could have damaged my story; or, to put it another way, it could have created some hard-to-manage plot holes. Nietzsche advances the conception of amor fati as the only possibility of acceptance for man of the circular eternity of time.
Amor fati is therefore an attitude that cannot be assimilated to resignation but of active acceptance, which consists in the ability to make one's will coincide with the course of events as they occur, or by assuming them in their pure chance.
But why am I talking about amor fati? I didn't want to create a universe without randomness, I don't know if I make myself understood. Put it in simple terms: knowing that there's the possibility of an effective cyclicality, I didn't want to create a system that provided for exact repetitiveness, I wanted to keep the mystery and the randomness standing. I wanted to keep the concept of fate, but I didn't want a predictable story.
The First Arch of Fate/Yggdrasil had a story, the Second Arch had to have a similar but not identical story otherwise it would have all been predictable. Some events I wrote are similar, just to make people understand the existence of a kind of destiny in the story of F/Y.
But have I really succeeded? Well, you are the readers. It's up to you to decide.
 
However, I'm sorry for wasting your time with this piece where I wanted to tell how I thought about the Grail of Yggdrasil.