lunedì 15 luglio 2019

Chapter 9 : Goodbye, Herbert


Clovis Wolff was sitting at the airport waiting for his flight. With his arms crossed and his eyes half-closed, he rested. A few hours earlier he had had to find an excuse with his wife to justify the departure, the two had quarreled but he decided nevertheless to leave. Here he is, then, in his chair waiting for a direct flight to London to fight the Holy Grail War.
Herbert's voice woke Clovis:
« Are you waiting for the plane? » 
Clovis turned to his left and saw his friend sit two chairs away from him. He remained silent. He didn't answer the question because he knew the answer was obvious and that his friend would understand it for himself. He closed his eyes again to try to fall asleep but Herbert insistently asked:
« How did your wife take it? »
« Bad. » Clovis grumbled.
« Have you had a fight? »
« Obviously. » 
« Do you still want to fight the Holy Grail War? »
« What do you want, Herbert? » Asked Clovis, unnerved.
« It's not worth it, Clovis. Fighting this war makes no sense. You will die. »
« Have you already lost faith in my skills? »
« You know that's not it. I've already told you, Clovis, the Holy Grail War is just a useless massacre done in the name of a desire that could destroy the balance of the world. Didn't you really learn anything from history? »
« Stop being a teacher with me. You have no idea what my difficulties are. »
« You're right, but … »
« No! Shut up! I don't want to know. By now it's too late to go back. Don't try to change my mind, Herbert. It's not worth it. » 
Clovis saw the departure board and realized that his flight was ready. He got up, took his bags and muttered in an impatient voice:
« My flight has arrived. Maybe we'll meet again or maybe not. See you, my old friend and mentor. »
« Wait! » Exclaimed Herbert.
« What do you want now? »
Clovis shot an irritated and hasty look at his friend. Herbert, for the first time in his life, felt shaken by Clovis's ways of doing things. He knew he could no longer do anything to prevent his friend from taking part in the war, however, he did not want to let him leave without first clarifying his position. He needed to make Clovis understand that he was on his side, even though he didn't agree with his choice. 
Herbert told him:
« I'm not your enemy, Clovis, I want you to know. I know that lately it seems that I am against you, but it is not so. I don't want your daughter to die, I want at least as much as you that your family can be happy ... but ... this is not the way, Clovis. The Holy Grail War is a bet with the Devil. You have everything to lose and your chance of success is very low. Can you at least understand this? Do you realize it? »
« Yes. Rejoice at least in this, Herbert, I know I could fail but I won't stop. »
« I will pray that you can return home. »
« Me too. Goodbye, Herbert. »
Clovis left. London awaited him.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento