giovedì 22 agosto 2019

Chapter 36 : The great battle (part 1)


Rider stood motionless, with a victorious smile, ready to witness the fall of Saber, who was dodging the blows of several civilians who were under the influence of the Noble Phantasm.
Rider, in a bold tone, exclaimed:
« Surrender, Saber! The people, under the control of Tokugawa Ieyasu, always wins! »
At that moment an arrow was about to hit Rider's head but a man, under the girl's control, caught it in flight.
Archer, on top of a building, was surprised by the efficiency of those pawns. Rider, laughing, exclaimed:
« But did you really think my people were stupid enough to let me die? I'm the guide! I'm the governor! Everyone loves me and everyone protects me! »
Saber left Rider and with a leap she reached Archer; the man, seeing the girl arrive, told her:
« We have to stop that Noble Phantasm. We can't let civilians getting hurt. »
« I already know. »
Rider, seeing that the two rivals were together on a roof, shouted:
« Do you really think my people can't reach you? »
Rider's various slaves began to climb the building and the two Servants decided to move to another roof. Rider, annoyed, ordered her slaves to get off and then, smiling, decided to kick one against the foundations of the building on which Archer and Saber had settled.
The chain attached to the man's chest lit up red and Rider then exclaimed:
« From what I understand, neither of you seems to want to fight! Drop down or I'll blow one of them off. »
Archer replied, shouting:
« You can't do that! You're staining yourself with an inhuman crime! They have nothing 
to do with it! »
« Do you really care so much about their well-being, Archer? Then come down and face me instead of crying like a little girl. »
Saber got off the roof. Rider, pretending to be impressed, exclaimed:
« Damn, you were really good at following my advice. »
Saber turned to Rider: she wasn't scared. She knew she was surrounded by invulnerable enemies but she was not afraid; she ran towards Rider, miraculously avoiding all the blows of her enemies and with a leap she was about to hit Rider. One of the slaves threw himself at Saber but the latter was able to get up immediately, she dodged the blows of other enemies and then, with great skill, threw her sword; Rider dodged the blow and, laughing, said:
« You have a crappy aim. »
« I know. » 
Saber commented with a triumphant smile. Rider, confused, turned and saw that the sword had struck a lamppost that fell towards her. Rider moved; Archer took the opportunity to shoot two arrows but they were both blocked by Rider's slaves. Any attempt to directly hurt Rider seemed to fail, which meant that the battle would be prolonged further.
Rider, tired of continuing to move, decided to turn all her slaves into living bombs, the chains were all a vermilion red. The girl sent the first two against Saber and ordered:
« Explode! »
Two explosions as big as those of a grenade put ko Saber, who had completely lost her senses. Archer, shocked by Rider's cruelty, shouted:
« You're a monster! You are a lousy being and you deserve to rot in Hell for the rest of your days! God is my witness on this night: I will eliminate you, Rider! »
Archer shot four arrows at Rider but she sent out her slaves who were shot in her place, exploding. Archer then realized that they had lost their invulnerability and Rider, laughing, exclaimed: 
« I read fear in your eyes. I see you understand what's going on. If you hit me they will get in the way and die for me. In other words, you'll be the one to kill civilians, not me! You're a knight, aren't you? I bet that like me you too know that you should never hurt civilians. »
« Bastard! With what arrogance do you utter these words ?! You're the first to involve civilians in this fight! You have no honor! »
« You're wrong, Archer, you're the only killer. When they fought by my side they were invulnerable, I would never have let them be hurt. I have chosen to make them like human bombs, it is true, but it is not I who order them to explode, it is you who make them explode. In both cases you are the real enemies of the people. »
« Lies! Give up these slaves and face me with honor! » 
« Still don't understand, Archer? I'm already fighting with honor. You think they are under the influence of a strange magic, right? But is not so. My Noble Phantasm acts on people's hearts and awakens in them the need to fight for something bigger. It is not a trivial "mind control" it is a call to duty. They protect me, they love me, they love me, but the fact remains that this is an honorable battle between you and me. »
« You're wrong! You're using them to fight me! »
« No, you are wrong, Archer. They are THOSE who want to fight for me. I'm not forcing them. »
« May you be cursed! » Archer screamed. 

Meanwhile, Saber regained consciousness. She was lying on the ground and watching the starry sky above her. The girl could hear the sounds of a battle that seemed so distant from her; Saber was serene with the look of a dreamer who wanted to reach the stars. For a moment she felt the ears of corn of her native land run over her hands, she felt so far from the adversities of the world. She closed her hand in the vain hope of being able to grab an ear of corn but when she realized that it was only an illusion her eyes slowly moistened with tears that reached the asphalt. She muttered to herself:
« The Elysees are still far away, huh? How long will I have to fight? Do I still have to get my hands dirty with blood? »
At that moment, Saber turned to her Master and asked:
« Master, I have to ask you a favor … »
Alessandro had just left the hotel, the boy was grieved and dirty with dust. When he heard Saber's voice he asked her:
« What is it, Saber? »
« I need you to escape in case you lose all your magical energy. »
Alessandro Serpi was surprised by the request but, smiling, he reassured her:
« You don't have to worry me, Saber, I have enough magical energy. Do what you have to do, Saber and win. » 
« Thank you, Master. »
Saber raised her hand to the stars. Her gaze was lost in those thousands of lights that seemed to form the face of her lover. The girl murmured:
« Finally the time has come to return to the battlefield. »
Saber got up and took her gladius from the ground. She turned to see the hopeful look of Alessandro and with a smile assured him that the battle would be won.
Saber returned to the center of the battle with a combative step and blazing eyes. When Rider noticed that her rival was still alive, she worried and said:
« I see you're stubborn, Saber. »
« I will win, Ieyasu Tokugawa. I'll have your head tonight. »
« What ?! » 
There was something in Saber's expression that was intimidating Rider. It was the look of a person who knew she was about to triumph. Rider could not accept Saber's full security attitude and shouted:
« Stop being so sure of yourself! You would never dare to harm civilians and therefore you are at a disadvantage! »
« You're wrong, Ieyasu, I'm never at a disadvantage against my enemies. Get ready, because from today everyone will know the name of the Saber who is participating in the Holy Grail War in London! I am not a normal heroic spirit, I am the founder of an ideal that has shaped Europe after my death; I have overcome my own mortality with myths and legends that have made me immortal; the blood of Romulus flows in my veins and as he was the first king I was the first to be myself and all those who came after me did nothing but copy me. Every great sovereign knows who I am and has tried to repeat my deeds for better or for worse. Tonight you will know me too! » 
Saber thrust her gladius into the asphalt; the weapon lit up and generated a powerful glow that enveloped the whole city. Suddenly all those who had taken part in the battle found themselves catapulted into a misty land full of trees and with the sky overcast; the grass was damp and there were several hills that extended towards the horizon. 
No one knew what place it was.
At that moment, Alessandro saw a red banner with a golden eagle on it rising from over a hill.
Entire legions of soldiers marched into the hills and reached Saber who with open arms and closed eyes seemed to welcome an army that seemed to have no limits.
Rider, shocked, asked:
« But ... how many are there? »
Archer stammered:
« This land ... reminds me of France … »
Yukiko was as upset as the others:
« A legion so big ... could it be ...? » 
Rider became angry and shouted:
« Bastard! What kind of king are you ?! »
« I am neither a king nor an emperor. I am not a sovereign, I am CAESAR! »
That name had all those present paralyzed. Alessandro, astonished, asked:
« You are ... Gaius Julius Caesar? The dictator of Rome? He who laid the foundations for the Roman Empire? »
« Exactly, Master! Observe me in all my glory! I am immortal! I am divine! I am Gaius Julius Caesar, Dictator of Rome, the First of the Twelve Caesars, Pater Patriae, Divus Iulius! And this is my legion behind me! My Noble Phantasm with which I will destroy your people! Legio Gallica! (The Legion That Conquered Gaul) »
After a battle cry, the legion went on the attack and completely slaughtered Rider's slaves and also hit Rider. Despite the explosions, the legionaries did not fall and continued to strike and advance. The power of that Noble Phantasm was incredible. This was the power of Saber, the power of Caesar.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento