domenica 4 agosto 2019

Chapter 29 : The virtuous


Rybakov had just seen the news on the train that had left Paddington station. Not having a home to stay in, Rybakov saw the news at the bar.
The man left the bar and walked towards the nearest bench, on which he sat. He opened his notebook and began to write: 

The song of the desperate soul
The last to live is the fool,
The sun will rise again
When the war ends,
My heart asks for mercy
And my mind runs away,
But an instinct, a wicked voice,
Leads me to continue.
Someone prays,
Someone runs away,
Someone goes on,
Who's the fool?



Rybakov closed his notebook when he saw a man sitting next to him. Turning around, Rybakov immediately recognized the face of Murakawa Tetsuya. Sergei knew perfectly well that Tetsuya would never try to attack him in broad daylight in a public place with the police around, so he was quiet.
Tetsuya lit a cigarette and started smoking, pretending not to notice Sergei Rybakov. Both Masters were silent and waited for one to decide to speak first. Tetsuya said:
« One is dead. »
« I had guessed it. »
« This is a young magus named Sunahara Hiro, an idiot who was Rider's Master. However, Lancer confirmed that Rider is still alive and has a new Master. A girl. I have no idea who she is. »
« Why are you telling me this? »
« I believe there is something under this war. The Holy Grail War? Ah! Bullshit! In this war both powerful organizations and magi who seem to have just emerged from Merlin's ass are involved. There's something big at stake, I know, I feel it. So many things are silenced, Rybakov, surely you guessed it too. »
Sergei Rybakov remembered perfectly when he saw men in black burying a small gold chest in one of the gardens of the City of Westminster. He could not deny to himself that there was something that did not return in the Holy Grail War, but he did not want to have other enemies and so he did not intend to interfere in matters that did not concern him. Sergei said:
« I know what you're talking about, but I don't care. »
« I understand you, I know you don't want to get into trouble. »
« So ...? »
« I worked for an organization that pretended to be something it wasn't. For my colleagues I was too aggressive to be a bounty hunter, a bullshit that anyone would have laughed at. I don't expect you to understand, but know that I'm very familiar with the modus operandi of organizations. I know what's happening, I knew it right away. »
« I still don't understand why you're telling me these things. »
« I was hoping to get your cooperation, but if you don't want to get involved, I understand you. I have to go now, I'll leave you to your poetry. »
Tetsuya got up and left. 

That night Sergei managed to infiltrate Regent's Park to analyze the huge chasm that had opened due to the earthquake. He wanted to find out what had caused it. Along with him there was also Assassin who asked him, intrigued:
« What do you think of the Lancer's Master's theory? »
« He is not wrong. There is something weird. Earthquakes are no accident, something big is happening. The first earthquake came when we were in Ibaraki, in Osaka Prefecture, when we were chasing that girl named Harumi. The chasms were bigger though. The Ibaraki disaster was more serious than this but the cause could be the same. »
« The Holy Grail? »
« It could be the Holy Grail. »
« It could also have been that attack that pierced Caster's barrier. »
« That sort of Noble Phantasm? »
« Exactly. » 
« But what kind of Servant would be able to launch such a devastating attack? »
« I have no idea, Master, that's why it's worth investigating. »
Sergei stood on the slope of that deep chasm. He stared at it with wide eyes, frightened but intrigued. Assassin approached Sergei and asked him:
« Do you have any wishes? »
« да. »
« What is it? »
« Being able to earn money with my poems. »
« That's all? I would have expected more from someone like you. »
« Is it trivial for you? For me it's not. My grandmother always told me that my words can communicate to people's hearts, but nobody wants to publish my poems. There are those who consider them childish and there are those who do not consider them at all. Poverty has not broken me but is starving my family. »
« Your family? »
« My father, my mother, my grandmother, and my sister. My family. My father can no longer work after losing an arm in the steel plant; my mother works as a waitress and my sister is a prostitute. I want to have the money to give them the life they deserve. Have they not suffered enough? »
« Are you willing to do anything to give them a good life? »
« I am willing to do anything, Assassin. I want it to be clear: I will stop at nothing to win this war. »

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento