lunedì 11 maggio 2020

Chapter 119 : Ieyasu Tokugawa (part 2)


Toyotomi Hideyoshi became an increasingly relevant samurai and in 1579, Ieyasu, wanted to forge a relationship with him in the hope of never having to fight him. The girl continued to fight in the service of Oda Nobunaga with extreme loyalty but there was something that was tormenting her: it was the desire to be like Nobunaga. That little girl, the Demon King, had managed to defeat the greatest men in Japan and was one step away from bringing the whole territory together.
Ieyasu knew she was not like Nobunaga but she wanted to be at her level, she wanted to be like her: strong, confident and above all powerful enough to decide the fate of the whole of Japan.
In 1582 the news of Nobunaga's death reached Ieyasu's ears. Maybe her time had come. But it was not so. The struggle for power was fought between Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Shibata Katsuie.

1584

Ieyasu wanted to manipulate Oda Nobukatsu to get an alliance and fight against Toyotomi Hideyoshi. There was the Komaki and Nagakute campaign which ended in a truce between the two factions.
« I will accept our alliance, Ieyasu, but not out of respect but because I know you need me. »
The two were in Hideyoshi camp a few days after the conflict ended.
« As I suspected, you longed to take over the power that was once in Nobunaga's hand. But you've failed. Everything that once belonged to the Oda is now mine and you have lost. »
« I won the battle and you know it. I could have ... »
« You only won because you caught me off guard. You got lucky. My army is bigger than yours and Nobukatsu's combined. I can crush you at any moment. But I'm magnanimous and I won't. We come, therefore, to our agreements: the wars between the two of us will cease, we will be allies and in return you will not lose everything you have built with the help of Nobunaga. Do you like it as an idea? »
« Just one thing: was Akechi Mitsuhide really killed? »
« Why do you ask? »
« All your fame, all your power is based solely on that assassin's death. But is he dead? Where's the body? What happened at Yamazaki? »
« Enough, Ieyasu! Don't play with my patience. I don't have time for these idiocies! He is dead and if you are not careful you will also have his end! Do you accept the alliance or not? »
« Yes I accept. I have no other choice. »
« Good. You will always be a puppet, remember that. »

1600

Toyotomi Hideyoshi had died two years earlier. Ieyasu Tokugawa, after a long time, saw again a glimmer of light, the possibility of obtaining the power that she had longed for however she had to face this time Ishida Mitsunari, who even tried to assassinate her. But Ieyasu was determined to become the most powerful figure in all of Japan. She was tired of being treated like a puppet, she was tired of being under someone. Everything was ready for the final battle, the battle that would decide the fate of Ieyasu.
The girl was in her camp, eager to brandish her sword and kill Mitsunari with her own hands. One of her vassals, Honda Tadakatsu, came to her with a very curious question:
« This is the final battle, my lady, there is an air of uncertainty, fate could be against us. But why are we here? Why do you want to face Ishida Mitsunari? »
« Power, Tadakatsu. Only power. »
« Power? »
« I've been in someone else's hands since I was little. My fate has never been truly mine. Having power means being in control of your destiny, your fate. Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Imagawa Yoshimoto and even my father ... they were all masters of their destiny. And me? Nothing. I never had that power. I want it. I desire it with all of myself. That's why we are here. »
« And once you get that power? »
« I will be able to start living. »
The battle of Sekigahara was fought on October 21, 1600. Tokugawa Ieyasu emerged victorious, thus becoming the most powerful person in Japan. She founded the Tokugawa shogunate in 1603 but abdicated two years later leaving room for her heir son: Tokugawa Hidetada.

1606

Ieyasu Tokugawa was in her home. A messenger arrived and informed her of some of her son's policies.
« No, it's not a good thing. Tell him to think again, we must make sure that we have good relations with the rest of the world. We can trade with the Netherlands and Spain but we must avoid the presence of Christian monks who indoctrinate our people. Merchant ships must be checked. I don't trust those religious faithful. They are dangerous. »
Honda Tadakatsu visited Ieyasu, saw the hasty messenger pass by and commented:
« You have the reins, my lady. Even if your son is shogun, you are the one in charge. How do you feel? »
« After a long time I got what I wanted. Now the others are my puppets. Japan is mine, I have surpassed Nobunaga and Hideyoshi too, I've overcome anyone. But now …
»
« Why are you crying? »
« Nobody lives forever. Now that I have realized my dreams I fear that my death is near. I'm afraid I'm not destined to see the fruits of my work. How long will my shogunate last? How long will the nation I built remain standing? I'm afraid, Tadakatsu, I'm very afraid. All this could end tomorrow. Nobunaga's death proved it: a spark is enough and the world changes. »
« That's the way things go, my lady. But enjoy these moments, you have fulfilled your desire, many cannot. This is your moment. »
« I will miss our battles, Tadakatsu. I will really miss them. »
Ieyasu Tokugawa died on June 1, 1616. The Tokugawa shogunate remained standing until 1868.

Ieyasu Tokugawa by Bikowolf

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento