giovedì 28 gennaio 2021

Chapter 6 : Rise of a party leader

The experience of Catiline's conspiracy helped Caesar to understand that the real obstacle to achieving her dreams was not the aristocrats but Cato, a stoic faithful to Roman traditions; he was skilled enough to be able to move the Senate views in his favor but he was also paranoid enough to never trust the senators themselves. To be able to defeat such an opponent, Caesar had to be smarter than him.
The young woman repudiated Pompeia after she discovered that she was cheating on her for Clodius, who in the meantime was making a name for himself in politics. After her campaigns in Spain against the Lusitanians, the girl returned to Rome in triumph and decided to put in place a grandiose stratagem to be able to obtain the necessary power to change Rome.

60 BC

Crassus and Pompey were two completely different men: one was a rich businessman while the other was a soldier. Both were equally ambitious but did not agree, however Caesar had sensed that both of them wanted to use her to be able to achieve power and so she decided to summon both men to her house to sign an agreement with them. If she was what they both wanted, she would be the cause of their alliance.
"Caesar, you are asking too much of me," Pompey said.
"The same goes for me. I've no intention of making deals with that liar thief of glory," Crassus asserted indignantly.
All three were at the table, illuminated by torches, the lights of which cut the darkness of the night. Pompey was in front of Crassus and Caesar was between the two.
"I didn't steal anything," Pompey muttered.
"You were celebrated for defeating Spartacus but we both know that the merit of that agonized victory was mine. But you, like a thief, took credit for all the operations while my commitment was completely forgotten" Crassus explained.
"So? I did all the work. I am a soldier, a general, I fight wars, at most you put in a little money and watch everything from afar like a damned spectator in the arena."
"You're a son of a dog! Damn arrogant savage! If you weren't a citizen of Rome I would have already had you crucified for such an insult!"
"Ah! Crassus moving his butt, this would be a novelty!"
"Wretch!"
"Bravo, Crassus, punch the table, that's the best you can do, stupid pig!"
"This is too much!"
Crassus and Pompey were about to fight but Caesar, banging her hands on the table, caught their attention and exclaimed:
"You're two children! Don't you understand what we can do if the three of us join forces? Cato is a burden that none of us, alone, can handle. Virtually the entire Senate supports that man, but together we can do whatever we want. Forget the disputes of the past, think about the future, think about what we can achieve if we join forces, everyone will be able to satisfy their ambitions and together we'll change Rome forever by removing it from the hands of those incompetent who are in power. "
"How?" Pompey asked intrigued.
"Pompey, your veterans could rebel at any moment because they lack the lands you promised, I'll take care of distributing those lands, they'll have everything they asked for and what's more, with Crassus's money, I'll bribe a couple of senators so they can give you more power in the East. "
"And what do I get?" Crassus then asked, perplexed.
"I know you have a problem with procurement in the province of Asia, I can arrange for their price to be reduced and in addition I will make sure to facilitate your round of money with some of my contacts; so you will have more money in your pocket, my dear friend."
"And how do you plan to keep these promises?" Pompey then asked.
"With the consulate."
That answer froze both men.
"You want ... to become consul? No woman has ever gained such power."
"We can do it. With the power of money and the army anything is possible, even for a woman."
"But-"
"Bluntly: do you want power? I will give you power. Pompey, you will have to support my candidacy for consul, while you, Crassus, will have to finance it. I don't care how many people have to be corrupted, I don't care how many rules we have to break, help me to achieve this goal and in return I will give you everything I promised. "
The two were silent for a moment. Pompey looked at Crassus, the latter looked back and then, both of them, stared at Caesar. The girl was not worried, she wasn't sweating and she wasn't showing signs of anxiety. They both smiled.
"So be it," said Pompey, extending his hand to Crassus.
"Okay, I accept" Crassus shook hands.
"Gentlemen," Caesar stood up and placed her hand on those of the two men "we're writing history. From this moment on, the fate of Rome is in our hands."
Thus was born the first triumvirate that brought together the three most powerful politicians and influencers of Rome. Caesar, thanks to her ability in oratory, had managed to do the impossible and gave birth to a real 'three-headed monster', as Cato later called it.
The following year, Caesar shocked the world by becoming consul for the first time, and respected the pacts with her two allies. Cato didn't stop opposing the girl but unfortunately there was little to do against her, a figure protected by both Crassus and Pompey; moreover, the people were also in love with that demigod with red eyes and silver hair.
That year Caesar married the beautiful Calpurnia who was treated like a little queen. Their marriage, like all of Caesar's, wasn't without criticism and insults from the Roman aristocracy, but as always the consul of Rome either ignored the rumors or laughed at those who hated her.
One night, after the two girls had lain together, Calpurnia asked Caesar:
"You are a very strong woman, my love, but every day I fear you may die at the hands of those who are envious of you."
Caesar, after kissing Calpurnia's head, reassured her:
"I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of being forgotten. I've to do everything in my power to be able to change this city and the fate of those people, who suffer unnecessarily from inept politicians and lazy aristocrats."
"And how?"
"The people love me but the love of the people is not enough. Have you seen Publius Clodius Pulcher? Clodius is a populist, he lies to the people, he says he'll eliminate taxes and he says he'll give everyone everything, but it's nonsense. It's just propaganda. He even paid mercenaries to vandalize."
"You do a lot of propaganda too, though," Calpurnia noted.
"It's not the same thing," Caesar said as she got out of bed. "I don't state what I can do, I state what I will do. They are two different things. What I say, I do. I don't lie about these matters. For me politics is like grammar: rules must always be followed."
"So what are you going to do, Daughter of Venus?" Calpurnia asked, rising and embracing Caesar.
"The people change their minds easily. They only follow the heart but not the reason, today they love me but tomorrow they will hate me, I need a way to get power without getting lost in uncertainties. I need an army."
"For what? An army can only conquer foreign lands."
"That's not true. It can allow me to create the basis for my power. Everyone respects and fears those who make war. I'm a powerful woman but I'm not powerful enough to feel safe ... so I need a sure, absolute power, that will allow me to change Rome forever."
"Do you want to become like Sulla, Caesar?"
"No. Never. I'll never emulate that old dog who wanted to be king. He was incapable of understanding the people and how to control a state."
"And do you know how to do it?"
"People are like animals: if you hurt them, they bite you. The best way to govern a state is to learn not to make anyone suffer. Nobody should be oppressed, nobody should be exiled for their political views and nobody should fall into slavery because of debt. But first of all we need to create a fair and balanced system; here is the complicated part. But, first of all, I must win the respect of Rome and the unconditional love of the people and the army."
"Where will you fight, Caesar? Who will you fight?"
"I've to think about it, my love, but I need him to be a rival worthy of Rome. A dangerous enemy, otherwise no one will take me seriously."
Calpurnia smiled and seated Caesar, stood behind her, and said to her:
"Then you'll have to prepare for war. You can't walk around with hair that long."
"I don't want to cut them, I like them long."
"You don't have to. You have to show your perfect face, though; and at the same time you have to make men understand that you mean it. You have to be the reincarnation of a war goddess."
"You know I don't believe in these things."
"It doesn't matter. You don't have to believe it, they have to believe it." Calpurnia had done a long braid. "It's not a simple matter of war, but also of faith. You're special, Caesar, and even if you don't believe in it you still have to make sure that others believe in it, so they will follow you to the end of the world. Be rational, but don't forget people's hearts." Calpurnia took a bow to tie her hair. "That's it. Now you look like a god."
"Thanks, Calpurnia. Thanks for your love."
"Don't thank me, you just have to go back to me. Win the foreigners and come back to me, my love."
During the consulate, Caesar obtained the support of Crassus and Pompey for the approval of the Lex Vatinia with which he became the proconsul of the provinces of Cisalpine Gaul and Illyricum and then, later, also of the Narbonne province. The Senate, in fact, hoped to remove Caesar from Rome with the aim of reconnecting with the people and abandoning the girl in the north. Caesar, however, was certainly not stupid and before leaving she went to the Senate to make an announcement:
"I know that you want me far from Rome, I know that you want me dead for a long time and I know that you're so closed mentally that you're unable to understand my greatness. However, let me give you some advice, my dear colleagues: enjoy your wine; enjoy your money; enjoy your villas and your lovers 'who don't exist' ... enjoy life while you can because when I've conquered Gaul I will come back here and I will be able to trample your heads."
A senator stood up and exclaimed in a contemptuous tone:
"Difficult task for a woman!"
Caesar smiled and replied:
"I'm a woman, yes, but the Amazons were also women and they dominated Asia by defeating the most formidable warriors of antiquity and Semiramis herself dominated Syria. I'll be like Semiramis, but I will get more glory than her and more than Alexander the Great, my name will never be forgotten and you will cry."
Having said those words, Caesar left the Senate and left for Gaul.