martedì 26 gennaio 2021

Chapter 4 : Crocea Mors

Thanks to the help of Marcus Licinius Crassus, Caesar managed to go a long way in politics and was elected quaestor, however something terrible marked her life forever. Her wife, Cornelia, died in childbirth; she gave birth to a daughter who was called Julia, this little girl was not, however, the daughter of Caesar but rather of a ferocious violence.

69 BC

Caesar was outside her mansion, on his way to the forum where she had wanted his deceased wife to be celebrated; Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus surprised the girl with her visit, offered her condolences and then offered to accompany her to the forum.
"I heard it was a sillan, I'm sorry those dogs are still around. I promise we will take them out one by one."
"No, I don't want useless bloodshed. I just need to know that the culprit is dead, but to think that his deeds have resulted in Cornelia's death ... it infuriates me."
"You have my support, Caesar."
"Thanks, Pompey."
"However, I learned about Crassus and the money he's giving you."
"So what?"
"Abandon him. He doesn't know anything about politics or power, he's just an arrogant pig who wants to get richer. He wants to exploit you and when he doesn't know what to do with you, he'll throw you in the garbage."
"So, what are you proposing to do?"
"You don't need money, what you need is the army. You need military victories, only in this way will you be able to reach the top more easily. Look at me, I know what I'm talking about. If you and I were allied we could change Rome together and prevent misfortunes like that of Cornelia. You're a very talented speaker, you're very good in politics and together we can purify the Urbe."
"I'll think about it, Pompey. But now I'd like to dedicate myself to my beloved Cornelia, if you don't mind."
"As you wish, but think about it."
"Okay ... okay."
It was not a common thing to say funeral eulogies to young women, in Rome the woman at a young age practically did not count for anything, she was not a matron and had done nothing in her life, but Caesar didn't think like a common Roman. She organized the funeral of her wife Cornelia to celebrate her as if she were a matron, indeed, perhaps more important than a matron. In front of thousands of citizens, including Pompey and Crassus, she delivered her speech:
"For me, she was the world. For me she was more important than gold itself. My soul mate, my friend, my only true ally and the woman I tried to protect with all my strength from the evils of this Rome corrupted by arrogance, greed and wickedness. By what right do I pronounce these accusations, you ask me? I am Gaius Julius Caesar, I am descended from Venus and the sacred blood of kings flows in my veins, my family is linked to the great Aeneas and Romulus, son of Mars. With this right I denounce this Rome and I cry knowing that I've failed in my task of protecting my wife, my innocent wife who had never done anything wrong to anyone. But with this same right I declare that my wife is the last! No citizen, after her, will suffer because of this unjust Rome! No citizen, after her, will be forced to cry because of a corrupt government in the roots! I swear, in front of all of you, I swear on my right, in front of you all, daughters and children of Rome, women and men of Rome, I swear that I will change this world with my hands, I will give you all the happiness you deserve, the peace you deserve, the justice you deserve! But, alas, with these hands of mine I, alone, can do nothing, I'm only a woman, and for this I ask you to grant me your power, give power to these hands of mine, and I will create a new world! Grant the power to this poor woman and I will refound Rome!"
The crowd rejoiced, ecstatic by Caesar's speech, those words lit fires like those of the sun and excited smiles with tears of joy, even Crassus and Pompey were not able to hold back their happiness, but in their hearts they smoldered the intend to manipulate that girl in order to realize their ambitions.
After her funeral, Caesar, returned to her mansion where her mother was waiting for her along with two priests who were holding together a weapon covered with red cloth.
"Caesar, my dear, you're back."
"Mother, what's going on? What are those priests doing here?"
"I brought them in; the time has come for you."
"What are you talking about?" Caesar was confused.
"Don't you understand? Have you ever wondered why you don't get old? Have you ever wondered why you have white hair and red eyes? Have you ever tried to wonder where your beauty comes from? You are not mortal in your veins the divine blood flows, you're special. I learned of your campaigns and I learned of the victories you've achieved and so I asked the vestal who saw you born to grant me the sword you will now receive.
"Sword?"
"Yes." She answered by lifting the red cloth blanket revealing the beautiful sword.
Caesar gasped in front of a weapon so finely decorated, so beautiful and refined.
"Crocea Mors. This sword is very ancient. It is said that it belonged to Romulus who fought with a spear and a sword. The blade was forged by Mars himself using the soul of the deceased Rhea Silvia. In this blade there is the spirit. of a mother in pain and also the power of the god of war. The weapon was held by all seven kings of Rome but then it was left to the vestals, now almost no one believes in its power, many see it as a simple relic but in reality it is a divine weapon that only the descendants of Romulus can wield. The sword is yours, Caesar. "
"So this sword is divine," she looked her mother in her eyes and raised an eyebrow "ironic that only now those Gods care about me."
"Accept the sword, my daughter, it is your destiny."
"If I refused this gift you would cry and I don't want this. My love for you, mother, is the only reason why I will accept this sword." She took up the weapon.
"Thanks-"
"Know, however, that I will never use it in battle. I don't need any divine help to win my battles. I've always fought alone and will continue to do so."