martedì 22 settembre 2020

Chapter 157 : The path (part 2)

 
Alessandro was in the dining room looking for something to eat but there were only foods that had expired for a couple of years, nothing edible, then he saw a can of tuna that had not yet expired, prepared a dish, opened the can and began to to eat; Saber appeared and commented in an ironic tone:
« Do you eat so as not to think about Sheol? »
« I just failed. »
«I'm sorry. » she said, smiling.
Saber sat next to Alessandro, she was happy to finally be able to treat her Master as a friend but she still had a weight to take off her stomach and so she said, regretfully:
« Days ago I peeked through your things, I was curious to know more about you, I wanted to apologize to you, I'm not the kind of woman who loves to spy it's just that ... »
« Don't worry, it's a thing of the past now, but I think you have some questions for me, don't you? »
« That photo. »
« It has no value, not anymore. It's the memory of a happy family that will never 
return. »
« Are you looking for your father? » she asked, saddened for Alessandro.
« My father died two years ago, at least that's what I was told by the Coven, but that's what I know. The writing behind the photo dates back to when I was still living with my mother, I stopped looking for him … now I just want to forget everything. »
« Your mother too? »
« I've never had a mother. That woman simply gave birth to me, she did nothing else. I've never had a real family and have never been sincerely loved, being a Serpi is like having blood poisoned. »
« Is there one thing I still don't understand, why did your mother leave you to the Coven? »
« Because it was my destiny. » he replied in a flash.
« What does it mean? »
Alessandro cut the tuna in two with the edge of his fork, then separated the two parts.
« There is the Coven and the Church of the Vatican. The Coven is not like the other secret institutions that work for the Vatican, it's a practically independent body which, unlike fanatical Catholics, considers Magecraft a valid tool to fight heretics, but not only that, the Coven has always had its own rules and its own way to manage the members of the organization. » Then, pointing one at a time to the teeth of his fork, he explained: « There are the disciples, the Elders, the Heretic Hunters and finally the Grand Master. The Grand Master is elected by the Elders and to become Elders one must be a member of the Coven for thirty years, while the Heretic Hunters are those particular disciples who have been trained directly by the Grand Master to drive out heretics, demons, pagans and any other enemy of the church. »
« You're not a disciple, right?
»
« I was excommunicated, I'm no longer part of the Coven.
» Alessandro pointed out.
« Right, sorry ... »
« However, I was technically a disciple, but this sash indicated that I was a little more experienced than a disciple and therefore had some privileges. But this is not the only thing that distinguishes the Coven from the Vatican Church ... there is also the sexual aspect. In fact, members of the Coven can marry and have children but their children must necessarily become members of the Coven themselves. My mother could have, however, not left me in their hands because she wasn't a member of the Coven and therefore had the right to keep me but she didn't and abandoned me. »
« So your father was a member of the organization? »
« Yes. That's why I was destined to join the Coven.
»
« But now that's no longer the case. »
« And now my fate is dark. »
« No, you can start over! You are twenty years old! You can do whatever you want! » Saber exclaimed in joy.
« All I want? »
« Yup! You're free, Alessandro! Grab that freedom and become what you wanted to be. »
Alessandro's eyes lit up, it seemed that he had just begun to breathe, he opened his arms, spread them out, as if he were coming out of a shell and like a butterfly he showed his colors in a smile that moved Saber to the point of making her almost cry; the boy ran up the stairs, Saber followed him curiously and saw him take off his clothes and wear a sweatshirt with pants taken from the closet.
« What do you want to do, Master? »
« I'm free, Saber ... and I've just realized it. I'm free. This word ... this feeling ... it's indescribable, it's like air in the lungs, I feel alive, for the first time ... I'm alive. »
He took his old clothes and went back to the dining room where there was a stove, opened it and threw inside the black dress of the Coven.
« Life is mine. »
He took a box of matches, struck a match and threw it on the dress; the flames flared up in a short time and the dress was burned before Alessandro's eyes filled with joy. Saber hugged him and said:
« I'm proud of you. »
« Thanks, Saber, thanks for opening my eyes. »
« This is what friends are for, Master, I will always be by your side.
»
« Thanks, but ... now I would like to do something else that may be a little crazy. » Alessandro said, running his hand through his hair.
« What do you want to do? »
« I always hated this anonymous haircut. I want my style, I want something that suits me more, can you help me? »
« Count on me. » she answered giving him a pat on the back. 
 
Alessandro and Saber by Bikowolf

 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento