giovedì 3 settembre 2020

Chapter 154 : Cleta

 

An Amazon warrior who was chosen to be the nurse of what later became the queen of the Amazons: Penthesilea. Cleta had always had the nature of a mother and despite being a very skilled and also strong warrior, she knew that she preferred peace to war. During the Trojan War she fought alongside Penthesilea and killed many enemies but in the end, when she learned of her queen's death, she decided to leave the war to return to her homeland.
She boarded a merchant ship which offered to take her home.
The captain of the ship spoke to the warrior who had chosen to stay aloof, in the hold, for reasons unknown to him; the man visited Cleta and saw her sharpening the tip of the spear and then asked doubtfully:
« We're not going to war, why are you sharpening your weapon? »
« Because even if I'm not at war, the war could always catch up with me and I want to be ready. »
« You don't come from Greece, are you? Who are you? »
« Cleta. I'm ... I was the nurse of the queen of the Amazons, Penthesilea. »
« Who are you now? »
« A woman at peace who hopes never to have to go back to war again. »
« I don't think so.
» The man commented.
« Why is that? »
« Whoever wields a weapon, even if for self-defense, is the first to attack.»
The ship was hit by a sudden storm that pushed it towards southern Italy, where it docked safely. Cleta immediately realized that she could no longer go home and the sailors who had been with her no longer had any supplies to make the return journey, so the woman decided to found a city where she would welcome all the refugees from the Trojan War and also the sailors who had helped her, the city was called Cleto.
Cleto thrived for several years. Cleta, queen of the city, had a son named Caulone who, having reached the right age, decided to travel to discover the mysterious lands of Italy, but Cleta didn't want to let him go
« My son, what saddens you so much as to induce you to abandon Cleto? »
« Mother, I love Cleto but at the same time I long to discover the world beyond the city walls. I want to travel and get to know this peninsula. »
« I cannot let you go, my son, you were the only and last birth in my womb, you are like a treasure to whom I cannot say goodbye. If you were to die my world would collapse, just like when I lost Penthesilea. »
« Do not fear mother, I will not die. I'll come back here and tell you everything.
»
Caulone left the city and began his journey during which he met several kind tribes that he managed to reunite in a single city that he himself founded: Caulonia. However, the exploits of Caulone were also heard by the warrior people of Crotone who attacked Caulonia and killed Caulone during the siege.
When Cleta learned of her son's death her heart burned with rage and demanded revenge. Cleta left with her army to face Crotone but they were in the minority and were defeated, the queen fell on the battlefield and, on the verge of dying, she took this oath:
« One day I will return, I will face the monsters of Hades and I will come back to life ... that day I will burn your city! Damn you, Crotone! You took my only child from me and I condemn you for it! »
 
Cleta by Bikowolf

 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento