giovedì 1 settembre 2022

Chapter 24 : Fall

It had been two hours now. Alessandro Serpi had not yet uttered a single word and Caesar had no idea what to do to help him. She looked at her Master, who was standing still, sitting in the street with his gaze fixed on the void, and she felt helpless, unable to do anything concrete for him.
Vergil had managed to make his move. Alessandro was now no longer sure he could survive and protect Ina from the Holy Grail War. The boy knew that his Servant was a person who loved to talk and, perhaps thinking that dialogue would be a palliative, he opened his mouth; he closed it immediately. He had no idea what to say. For two hours he had done nothing but tacitly accuse himself of letting his guard down and letting Vergil separate him from Ina. For two hours he had done nothing but mull over his mistakes. For two whole hours he had been gathering anger, grief, fear and pain, and he wanted to blow them up... make them go away, but he couldn't. He couldn't get them away. The harder he tried, the more he realized he was imprisoned. He felt like a bird unable to sing. A sad smile was drawn on his lips, his eyes bathed and turned to Caesar.
"I thought..." His dry voice was soon followed by a cough.
"You don't have to talk," she said sympathetically.
He shook his head. "What would you do...?" He coughed again. "What would you do... in my place?"
"Well..." She thought about it for a few seconds. "I believe that a person's willpower can only be tested in the most oppressive situations. When I closed myself in the palace of Alexandria with Cleopatra and my comrades, I had to face several difficulties. My will was put to the test and I was able to respond to both Achillas' cunning and Ganymedes' ingenious strategies. Was it difficult? Yes, very difficult."
Alessandro didn't comment.
"Now that I think about it, my whole life has been like this... Still, you can't complain, right? The road of the giants is never downhill!"
"I'm not a giant—"
"You are, Comrade. You always have been, but you never realized it. Think about it. Think of the previous war, think of what you did and tell me, looking into my eyes, that anyone, in your place, would have done the same thing. I don't think so. Nobody forced you to save the world, but you did it anyway. Can't you understand? This is exactly what makes you a giant!"
"You're just saying..."
"You believe? Think of Vergil. Think about what that man did just to have you here! In this place! He could've ignored you, right? He could've involved other people in this war... and instead he decided to look for you and drag you into this conflict. Why? The answer is simple, Comrade: you're a colossus. You're an important person, a Master who saved the world and who made Sheol's defeat possible! How can you be blind to your deeds?"
"That's not what I asked for!" he exclaimed forcefully. "That's not what I asked for... I never wanted it..."
"So...? You can't go back—"
"Do you think I don't know?" He got up from the ground. "Do you think I don't know, Caesar? I know perfectly well that I can't go back! But don't you realize how frustrating it's to be here? I am tired! You're right, I've fought a lot, but can I know when I can stop fighting? When will I be able to live my life? Since the previous war ended, I've done nothing but run away from people who wanted to kill me! Do you have any idea what that means? Do you have any idea what it means to live with the constant fear of dying by the hand or of this or that other murderer? I cannot take it anymore!"
"Yes, I know what that means. My political life began like this, Comrade. I was just twenty when the dictator Lucius Cornelius Sulla decided that I had to disappear. I spent nearly a whole year hiding, bribing people who wanted to kill me, and seeking the protection of friends and lovers. Want to know the funny thing? That madman only wanted me dead because I was his late rival's granddaughter. So, Comrade, I know what you felt and I'm sorry... but now is the time to react."
"And what should I do...?"
"Fight. If the world pushes you, you have to push harder. This is the time, Comrade, to prove to Vergil that you're not weak and that you'll win this ridiculous war of his. This is the time to brandish your weapons and assert yourself, Alessandro! Stop feeling sorry for yourself! Save those tears for when you win! You're a colossus and I know it! I've seen you face worse, Comrade... I've seen you face worse and I've seen you come out victorious. Don't belittle those successes, treat them with proper respect! Raise your head and react!"
Alessandro didn't say a word. He turned towards the arena that awaited him, a little further ahead, and advanced with his head down. He was changed. Caesar's words reminded him that he hadn't survived the London conflict to live a life in fear and unhappiness. He longed for freedom, he longed to be able to live a peaceful and happy life. His father, his mother, the Grand Master, Yukiko and now Vergil... All of them had tried or were still trying to nail him to a tragic existence and he could no longer tolerate this. He was tired of taking, being treated like a weakling and being pushed left and right. He was tired of being forced to fight wars and above all he was tired of seeing innocent people die.
Alessandro Serpi advanced towards the arena... towards his destiny.

Far from Adocentyn, in Italy, the Coven's headquarters was in turmoil. Young disciples and senior members learned of a terrible fact. The Grand Master, who was still in the dark about everything, had no idea that those riots were caused by information leaked from an insubordinate.
The Grand Master had ordered one of his men to find out what was going on. After a few minutes, his office door burst open.
"Grand Master!" a man yelled.
Giovanni Monteverdi X turned and saw this disciple running after him with his forehead dripping with sweat.
"What's happening?" he asked, arching his eyebrows.
"I... I don't know... I have no idea... something happened..." he stammered. "I've heard rumors... rumors about..."
"What are you talking about?"
"The prisoner is—"
Giovanni pushed the disciple and immediately went to the prison where Yukiko Kumahira was being held. His heart was beating like a madman. His head was clouded by terrible thoughts and the man accelerated his pace. He made his way among the various members of the Coven and tried to calm some of them with harsh words, sometimes even threats. He continued to walk, hastily, and, along the road, he met Marco Lombardo, who had the same goal as him and also two frightened eyes.
"Who leaked the information?" Giovanni asked nervously.
"I have no idea, Grand Master—"
"Why the fuck wasn't I the first to know ?!" he screamed furiously. "What the hell is going on?"
"I have no idea! I was called by Ponti, it was he who told me to join him."
Giovanni and Marco went down to the prison and met Davide Ponti. The man stayed away from the iron door that separated him from the prisoner; his gaze was as terrified as that of an infant and not even the presence of his two colleagues could calm him down.
"You have arrived..." he said in a weak voice. "There are problems, something is wrong with the prisoner..."
"Move away," Giovanni said, standing in front of the cage door. "Let me take a look."
Giovanni Monteverdi opened the iron door and, as soon as he crossed the threshold, he turned pale on learning that Yukiko Kumahira was standing. The girl's gaze was absent, she still had that symbol on her forehead, so it meant that she, in fact, was still trapped in that illusion that had been prepared by the Coven to torture her.
"Why is she standing?" Marco asked in shock. "She should be in a coma..."
"I have no idea..." David answered with a trembling tone. "I was here for the usual checks and I saw her standing. I don't know how she did it, I don't know how it's possible... I swear I didn't do anything."
"Does anyone else have access to the cage?"
"No, just me."
"So what happened? Grand Master, what do you think? Maybe it's necessary—"
Giovanni interrupted both of them. The man slowly approached Yukiko and observed her with the same attention as a doctor; he wanted to make sure she was still under the influence of the Magecraft. Yukiko hadn't moved a single step, she swayed a bit, but she didn't walk. She had the same expression as a lobotomized patient.
Yet she was standing.
Giovanni Monteverdi walked away a little and looked around for possible clues. It was then that he noticed the presence of scratches on the wall; they were barely visible, but they were there. It looked like the work of a beast.
"What is this stuff?" he investigated agitatedly. "Do you have any idea? What did you do? What have you done, Ponti?"
"Me?! Nothing! I swear!" he exclaimed in terror.
"What's this stuff, then? What are these scratches on the wall? Who did it?"
"I don't know! I swear! I didn't see anything—!"
"Who made those scratches on the wall?" His voice rose. "Who the fuck went in here?"
"No o—"
"Bullshit!" he yelled. "Someone has entered! I'm sure! Who scratched the wall? What happened? What have you done?" Giovanni was becoming more and more aggressive. "Do you realize that this girl is the most dangerous person on the planet?! If she wakes up, we're dead!"
At that moment Marco Lombardo intervened with a faint voice: "Grand Master... behind you..."
Giovanni saw the deepest fear tint his colleague's gaze.
The man turned slowly and saw above, in a dark corner of the room, these long legs of bare skin that, with sharp claws, remained clinging to the wall. They were six legs of a creature that made not even the slightest sound. It was like it wasn't even real.
The men slowly moved away and, frightened, tried to understand what it was. Giovanni Monteverdi used a spell to illuminate that corner of the wall and then that face bare of eyes, nose, ears and mouth was unmasked. The beast had a long head with a sort of transparent trunk that moved like a snake hanging from a hook. The slender body of this creature was crossed by purple veins. The monster, sensing the presence of the light, quickly moved about the ceiling like a spider; the three men immediately moved to stay away from that hideous pale creature.
"What the fuck is that thing...?" Giovanni Monteverdi asked in shock. "It's not a demon..."
"No, sir, it doesn't give off magical energy..."
"I bet it's that bitch who brought that creature here!"
"What do you want to do, Grand Master?"
"Isn't it obvious? I'll put an end to the problem."
Giovanni Monteverdi approached Yukiko Kumahira and prepared to use a Magecraft to kill her.
The girl blinked.
"What...? Have you seen it too?" he asked shaken.
The girl's eyes began to move madly.
"To Hell with that! I won't risk!"
As soon as Giovanni Monteverdi channeled the mana to cast the spell, something hit his arm.
It was that monster's trunk.
Like a giant and organic needle, that protuberance pierced the man's arm and began to suck blood. Giovanni lost the sensitivity of his arm within a few seconds and, in a few moments, the man's limb took on a corpse-like appearance.
"Help me!" he yelled.
As soon as he turned he realized that both Marco Lombardo and Davide Ponti had their eyes sewn up and their bodies were pulverizing little by little.
"No! No!" Giovanni yelled as he witnessed the death of the two colleagues. "NO!" The man turned to that horrible monster and exclaimed, snapping his fingers: "Acies Gladii!"
Three magical swords pierced the body of the beast, which escaped into the shadows. Giovanni managed to escape from that cage. He closed the door and walked away screaming for help. He ran down the corridor of the prison, sure to be chased by that foul creature, and continued to scream for reinforcements.
No one answered.
No one came to help the Grand Master.
Nobody.
"Help me, please! Somebody help me! Yukiko Kumahira is—!"
Then the man realized that his right arm, the one that had been hit by the monster's trunk, was back as before. It no longer looked dry, withered; it was healthy and of the same complexion as ever. It couldn't be possible. He was sure he had lost that limb, he was sure he had been hit and hadn't used any magic to heal himself. He scanned his arm with a clinical eye for the spot where the trunk had pierced him, but he didn't find a tiny wound.
"Are you all right, Grand Master?" asked one of the disciples.
The man raised his head and realized he was out of prison, but he didn't remember having gone through the door. He looked around and realized that the earlier unrest had dissipated, it was as if everyone had decided, in unison, to stop not only fidgeting, but also to make the slightest noise; it was surreal.
"Everything is fine—?"
"Don't touch me!" The man pushed the disciple and, without thinking, returned to the prison. "What's going on? What the fuck is going on?! It doesn't make sense! It makes no sense, shit! It doesn't make fucking sense!" Then he stopped. He thought about what had happened and began to sweat. "Unless..."
He approached Yukiko's cell and saw, near the iron door, Davide Ponti and Marco Lombardo who were talking. Both were in excellent health.
"Ah, Grand Master, what a pleasure to see you!" Marco exclaimed happily. "Do you need something?"
"You... I...Yukiko!"
"What happens...?"
"The prisoner! Let me open the door!"
When the three men entered the cell, Yukiko wasn't there. There wasn't a trace of the monster. The scratches on the wall were gone.
Then Giovanni Monteverdi understood and found himself alone, in the cage, with Yukiko Kumahira, who was lying on the ground, in that state of coma in which she should've been from the beginning. The girl got up slowly. He tried to use spells to kill her, but he couldn't channel mana. Realizing his helplessness, the man tried to get out.... but the door was blocked. Desperate, Giovanni kicked and punched Yukiko, but his arms were tired and his legs were heavy. He walked away and kept repeating:
"Stay down, stay down, stay down, stay down, stay down..."
He cried. The girl easily freed herself from the straitjacket.
"This isn't real," he said softly.
A malicious smile appeared on the girl's face. "Finally you understood." The symbol on her forehead disappeared. "It took you longer than expected, but now you understand."
"When...? How...?"
"The moment all three of you entered the room. That was the moment I used your own Magecraft against you. As for the 'how', well... let's say your tricks are like kindergarten children's games for me. It wasn't difficult to understand how your Magecraft works, it was enough for me to play your game without ever losing sight of my conscience. It took me longer than expected, but in the end it was worth it."
"You'll never be able to escape from the Coven... my men will stop you..."
"You mean the ones who died?"
His eyes widened in terror.
"My dearest Grand Master, did you really think those little magi would be able to stop me? The sheep cannot tear the wolf to pieces. I've already said that..."
"No, we never talked—" He saw the smile on her face. "How long have I been here...?"
"Finally the right question. You're slow, but in the end you make it. Do you want a number? I think... four days. I ran away four days ago, dear Grand Master. This is the second and last time I visit you—"
"Where is my body...? Where is everyone? Why does no one save me...? " He then understood. His eyes bathed in dismay and despair. "No... Don't tell me... Don't tell me, please..."
"Exactly, my dear Grand Master, nobody can save you... because you're alone. I buried you alive under the rubble of your own Coven together with the corpses of your disciples and your 'friends'. This is your new life: an eternal nightmare. Nobody will save you, nobody will come looking for you, nobody will worry about you."
"NO!" he screamed in tears. "I want to go out! Let me out! LET ME OUT!"
"Come on, don't do that, it was your fault. You shouldn't have played dice with God. See you, last Grand Master: Giovanni Monteverdi X."
"No! Stop! I don't want to...!"
Yukiko disappeared.
Giovanni found himself in his office, it was as if he had just woken up from a terrible dream. He looked around, agitated, and touched the walls of the room, the desk and even the glass. He was afraid, he wanted to be sure he was in reality.
"I had a dream...? It was just a dream?" He looked at himself in the mirror. "Is this real? Is all this true or is it just in my head...? " His body was wet with sweat. "Tell me it's real, please... Tell me it was just a dream..." His eyes got wet. "Please, God..."
He closed his eyes and opened them again.
He closed his eyes and opened them again.
He closed his eyes and opened them again.
Nothing had changed.
He breathed a sigh of relief and, smiling, said to himself:
"It was just a dream. A terrible dream. I imagined everything... Thank you, God. Thank you for taking pity on me."
The man sat down in front of the desk and began to order some paperwork, thinking back to what he had dreamed of. Terror still wandered in his heart, but it was dozing off a little at a time. He felt the need to walk, he needed to breathe fresh air.
He got up from his desk and walked through the door.
"Grand Master!" a man yelled.
The Grand Master Giovanni Monteverdi X turned and saw this disciple running after him with his forehead dripping with sweat.
"What's happening?" he asked, arching his eyebrows.
"I... I don't know... I have no idea... something happened..." he said stammering.
"What are you talking about?"
"The prisoner is—"

Yukiko stood with her hands behind her back, admiring the rubble of what, just four days ago, was the headquarters of the Coven. The girl turned and left the Grand Master in his grave. A tomb made of bricks, corpses and nightmares.
The female-looking demon had a clear goal, a goal that tickled that blood-hungry palate. She silently advanced towards a fate that awaited her on the summit of Adocentyn.

'Yukiko's return' by BikoWolf