giovedì 20 agosto 2020

Chapter 151 : Thomas de Camoys

 

I was born in a noble family, from a young age I was destined to become an important man and therefore nothing was ever denied me, God had blessed me with a comfortable life and I did nothing but follow the path that was built for me . After becoming a knight I dedicated myself to the protection of the weakest, I didn't do it for fame but because I knew it was the right thing to do; knights live and die serving those who cannot defend themselves, this has always been my belief and yet my first wife, Elizabeth Louches, accused me of being naive, a man with a child's head, for her only money and popularity had a real value because being noble meant that to her.
I, who was noble, couldn't treat the people as a means to increase my fame, I just wanted to be a knight worthy of memory.
I placed myself in the service of both the arrogant King Richard II and the service of King Henry IV, a man of great foresight and benevolence, and never doubted my way of being a knight, even my wife's words couldn't make me doubt, even if they hurt me more than a sword.
It was the illustrious Edmund Mortimer who changed my life forever, the rebellion of Henry Percy had recently occurred who wanted to rebel against Henry IV and the unfortunate Percy had been killed in battle, so I was proposed to marry the widow: Elizabeth Mortimer. I accepted, after all my wife had died recently and I wanted to have a new woman to keep me company, when I saw that woman I was shocked to see her straight in the eyes ... she had the look of a ravenous tiger, she seemed to be an Amazon ready to fight and for some strange reason I liked it, something attracted me to that look.
Elizabeth Mortimer was a unique woman: intelligent  but at the same time romantic and sweet, strong but graceful. The first thing she said to me when I let her into my manor was:
« I don't love you, the man I loved is dead. You can have my body but my soul will never be yours. » Those words, spoken with so much courage and pride left me stunned, how could I seduce such a strong woman?
After we got married, it took me months to get to talk to her. Elizabeth Mortimer was a woman of few words and yet she was very tender with me and admired the way I behaved.
« Protect the weak… yes, my husband believed in those values just like you. You look a little like him, Thomas. »
She told me these words before my departure for the Battle of Azincourt which I won easily by showing more courage than many other knights, but glory wasn't important, it comes and goes, what mattered was to become a symbol of justice and equality, values that Elizabeth supported until the day of her death; at that woman's grave I thought, in tears, that never again would I be able to meet a special woman like her.
But I was wrong ...
 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento