domenica 5 aprile 2020

Chapter 111 : New allies (part 3)


Alessandro Serpi was still on the bed, under the covers but seated. He didn't want to sleep. Saber had just come out to get something to eat at the machine, had left the book on Napoleon in the chair. The fact that Caesar was interested in Napoleon was somewhat ironic for him and when he saw his Servant enter with a chocolate bar in her hand, which she passed him, he pointed out to her:
« Did you know that the man you're reading about adored you? He wanted to be like you, he wanted to outdo you in everything. For him, you were an idol and a challenge. There are a lot of testimonials about it, are you interested? »
« No not much. That's okay with me. I find the history of this Napoleon very 

interesting. »
« You two are very similar. »
« Yes I know. This is fate. » Saber moved the book and sat down: « As I adored Alexander the Great, Napoleon adored me. This is fate. Maybe the three of us are tied by a single red thread. The question now is: who will be the fourth? »
« It's not that simple, Saber. You simplify everything but there were several sovereigns who adored you: Charles VIII of France, Charles V of Habsburg, Henry IV of France and even Louis XIV of France considered you an idol. »
« How do you know these things? » She asked curiously, raising her eyebrow.
« Well ... I'm a history buff ... that's all. »
« Why are you blushing? It's a good thing to love history. History is the greatest of all teachers. I loved history myself. »
« Anyway, the point is ... you're wrong. You left a mark on history. Princes and sovereigns considered you the most important person of Ancient Rome and considered you a model to follow, the model of the perfect monarch. »
Saber didn't seem happy at all and Alessandro, worried, asked her:
« Did I say something wrong? »
With her hands she was clutching the book on her legs, her gaze was desolate, embarrassed to have let her discomfort shine through.

« I can accept that Specter calls me "king" I have no problems ... but I don't want to be a "monarch" for my Master. I know I'm special and that's why I don't want to be reduced to a simple "king", I'm Caesar. »
« Strange ... you didn't seem to be bothered too much when you talked about it with Specter. »
« I was joking, it was just a game. I know how to play, Master, but I'm a serious person. Being called "king" for fun is a thing ... but being considered "king" by my Master is a serious matter for me. »
« Why? »
« Because a king is only an extension of the people, it represents the will of the people. I've never been and I never wanted to be simply an extension of the will of the people. I wanted to be myself. I was loved by the people not because I was a reflection of them but because I was myself, I was and am Caesar. Only Caesar. Not a sovereign, but Caesar. »
« Then why did you try to get power? »
« To leave an imprint. This is why I love Alexander the Great, he in his day managed to accomplish incredible achievements at a very young age and managed to leave a mark on history. I wanted to do it too. I didn't want to be a king or a god, I wanted to be remembered, I wanted to be immortal. That's why you live right? Living doesn't mean dying. Living means doing everything you can to be remembered by others. Life is too short and to be forgotten is sad. I wanted to leave a mark. » 

Saber spoke those words with such a passion that Alessandro didn't even know what to say, he could read a real conviction in the girl's eyes, she was a person who had a clear goal and wanted to do everything to be remembered. He would have stayed there to talk to her if he hadn't received a call from Friedrich Wolff:
« What's going on, Friedrich? »
« We have an ally now, his name is Dorian Benard. He's a friend of mine. He will help us to stop Sheol and end the Holy Grail War. I hope there are no problems for you. »

« No, no ... don't worry. It's All right. »
Alessandro was lying. He didn't like the idea of collaborating with a stranger at all. He didn't trust this Dorian Benard but he couldn't afford to raise a fuss in such a delicate moment.


Caesar reading about Napoleon by Bikowolf
 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento